Immediately prior to the Great War, Cunard introduced a class of three liners: Andania, Alaunia and Aurania, for the Canadian service. These were twin-funnelled liners; the first two were built by Scott’s of Greenock and the third by Swan, Hunter. They were twin-screw vessels of 13,500grt, 540 feet long, and could carry over 500 passengers in Second Class and over 1,600 in Third Class. None were to survive the war. The grey photograph is of Aurania, the other is of the sister, Andania.
Aurania was launched on 16th July 1916, but was completed as a troopship. She made her maiden voyage on 28th March 1917, from Newcastle to New York. After only seven trips, she left Liverpool on 3rd February, travelling in ballast for New York, to collect troops and munitions. On 4th February 1918 she was torpedoed by the German submarine UB-67, some 15 nautical miles north of the Irish coast. Badly damaged, she was taken in tow by a trawler, but ran aground on the rocks off Tobermory and was declared a total loss. Eight died in the tragedy.